Oct 3, 2005

5 years, already?

This weekend Ruth and I will be celebrating 5 years of marriage. This is pretty cool because seven years ago I figured I would be single the rest of my life.

A brief re-cap of the story:

Ruth and I met at Bouchercon 1999 in Milwaukee. I'd been sober four years and was at a pretty good place for the first time in a long time in my life. Ruth was also at a point in her life when she was getting over something and starting to really starting to enjoy life again. Neither of us were on the prowl or looking for that special someone. But we met, and in the next few months started dating. We got married exactly a year after we met.

I can't picture my life with out Ruth in at this point. Almost everything I do she's involved in some way. It's been 5 years of pure joy. It doesn't hurt that she is even more of a mystery fan than I am, and we have vary similar tastes in music and movies. Without her I don't think Crimespree would exist, I probably would never have done Interrogations and statred a second book. And I'm sure I would spend more time at home watching tv instead of going out and doing really great things.

At times it feels like we've known each other forever, and other times it's like we've just met and are still grinning at each other like goofs.

Time really does fly when you are having fun.

16 comments:

Russel said...

Stories like that warm even a cynical heart such as mine (And it takes a lot to do that!). You guys are both such lovely people and I raise my glass to many more years of happiness for you both.

Russel

Graham Powell said...

To paraphrase what I say to my own wife each anniversary: Here's to five more wonderful years!

Linda said...

Congratulations! :)

Linda

Anonymous said...

You guys are a beautiful story. Congratulations.

Anthony

Anonymous said...

Congrats to two of my favourite people. You both deserve the happiness. Not to mention the fact that you do your fair share of spreading it around. eeeerrrrrr...that's happiness I'm talking about! Hugs to you both.
Donna

Anonymous said...

TO THE BEST COUPLE I KNOW
GRA GO MOR AND WARMEST CONGRATULATIONS.......HERE'S TO THE NEXT FIFTY YEARS AND THE EDGAR FOR CRIME SPREE
NO WONDER EVERYONE LOVES YE
KEN BRUEN

Manuel Ramos said...

¡Felicidades! Wishing you two the best, more happiness, and all the success you deserve with Crime Spree.
Manuel

Anonymous said...

You know we wish you continued success and happiness in all you do!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on five fantastic years. Couldn't have happened to a nicer couple. You are both such kind and giving people. Here's to many, many more years of joy and happiness.

Anonymous said...

Happiness always, m'dears!

John Schramm said...

I've seen few people more beautiful than the two of you when you're looking at each other.

Happy Anniversary, Ruth and Jon!

Anonymous said...

What a great story - how lucky you are to have found each other, and how lucky the crime fiction community is to have your support and enthusiasm.

Happy Anniversary, and here's to many more wonderful years together....

Cheers,
Rae

Anonymous said...

The only thing more fun than chatting with each of you individually is chatting with you two together. You are the most marvelous couple. And the crime fiction world is fortunate to have you both.
Warmest regards on your day,
Ross and Julia, CS fans from Maine

Anonymous said...

You and Ruth are a glorious couple and you deserve all the happiness. Congratulations on the first five! The best is yet to come.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Two years ago I was talking to a co worker during the week of my 20th anniversary. She looked at me quite startled and said "i thought the two of you were newlyweds!"

This is the best I can wish for you, and I see it in my crystal ball. 15 years from now, someone will look up in amazement and say "I thought you were newlyweds!"

Woodstock

Steven said...

More belated than anyone else, but heartfelt all the same: congratulations on the first five and may you continue to enjoy life together for many years to come.