Nov 21, 2009

Hagar The Horrible!


Since I learned how to read there have literally hundreds of various comic strips running in our newspapers. With the decline of newspapers they now also run online. Of this huge number of strips there are a few that stand large, memorable and still funny. Even timeless. Like most people, I have my favorites. One of my top favorites is now being collected in hardcover form.

HAGAR THE HORRIBLE - DAILIES 1973 to 1974 by Dik Browne for me is true gift. This is one of the most enduring comic strips ever done. It follows the marauding viking Hagar on his adventures both on the seas, plundering castles and at home. The themes are timeless, family, friends and just everday stuff, as seen experienced by this lovable barbarian.

There is also a wonderful introduction by Brian Walker and an opening by Browne's kids.
I would recommend this for gift buying and for your own library. I've already read my copy twice. It's a beautiful 8 1/2 by 6 1/2 hardcover and over 300 pages.

Buy Hagar the Horrible: The Epic Chronicles: The Dailies 1973-1974

No comments: