May 16, 2006

Star Wars - Jeremy Happy Dance

George Lucas has finally broken down and accepted the fact the Star Wars fans HATE the fact that he messed with the original films. He will now release them in their original form. Han Solo will kill Greedo in cold blood. Yes!!!

Here are the details on the releases of the unaltered original Star Wars films:

Star Wars(Episode IV):
Disc 1: Widescreen Feature (Enhanced Trilogy Version)
Commentary by George Lucas, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren and Carrie Fisher
Easter Egg - Credit Roll
Disc 2: Widescreen Feature (For Both Versions Full Screen and Widescreen) - original theatrical movie version in dolby 2.0 surround
XBox Playable Game Demo
Lego Game Trailer

Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi will each be the same format as above. The only real differences are the films themselves. Each will have the same people doing commentary.

These will all be released on Sept 12, 2006 and will each retail at $29.98 They will only be available for a limited time and will be pulled from the shelves after Christmas.
I want to thank Fox for providing me with the info.

Jeremy Lynch

7 comments:

John Rickards said...

Aaaargh! More bloody cash on rereleased movies. Aaaaargh!

Jon The Crime Spree Guy said...

The title here is not meant to imply that Jeremy is a Star Wars geek by the way. He found it silly that the movies were never put on DVD in the original form.

I do find it kind of amusing that they will have a limited run. Is Lucas going to do like Disney and pull them after a specified time and "Put them in the vault"?

I nver bought the remixed set, however I may buy the originals. I don't think I'm willing to pop $29.95 each however. For that amount I can get a lot more DVD for my buck.

Anonymous said...

I'm actually pretty fond of my VHS copy of the original Star Wars movie. I have the revised trilogy on DVD, which I never watch, so I'm not going to pick these up. there are too many other things I want to spend my money on rather than buying these over and over again.

Anonymous said...

It will indeed be like Disney.

I don't think this is as much Lucas looking for a way to cash in as it is he simply got tired of people complaining about his tweaking of the films.
The only one that is really evident is the first with the infamous Han shoots Greedo scene and the added awful Jabba addition.

Anonymous said...

Very rarely have I found that the addition of "deleted" scenes to a special addition improves the film. Most times, there is probably a very good reason why the scene was taken out (length, importance to plot, quality, etc). I think that the Lord of the Rings DVD's with the additional scenes WAS an improvement, however. In the theater, not many people will sit through a 4 hour movie, so they cut scenes that were not crucial to the plot. Because they still contributed to the story, they were added back in. The distributer also let us know ahead of time that there would be a "bare bones" theatrical release and a deluxe release and let us chose. Lucas just comes up with something new every once in a while to try to get new and old customers to purchase. Just my opinion.

Anonymous said...

This is not a case of releasing a film with deleted scenes, this is a case where a director went back in and changed a film.

I do agree that it is frustrating to see films re-released just to make money. There are "collector's Editions" of Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid and The Princess Bride coming out. These will be the THIRD DVD release for each.

I have not purchased Fish Called Wanda because I knew there would be a special edition eventually. One is coming in August.

With Crime related DVDs, we will do our best to let you know which reissues might be worth buying.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads-up, Jeremy. I hate the changes Lucas made to the original and never bought the DVD. I'll probably pick up the first two movies in their original form.